Planning legislation

The Town and Country Planning Act (1990) and Town and Country Planning (Trees) Regulations 1999 sets out certain requirements if you have a tree on your property and you wish to carry out works to it.

If you live in a Conservation Area or have a tree which is subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) you need to make sure you advise the Local Planning Authority (LPA) of your tree work intentions.

If your property is within a Conservation Area you must provide the LPA with six week notice of your intention to carry out works to a tree. If your tree is under TPO you must make a formal application.  We can help you prepare an application as well as provide advice on how to best manage your trees. We can also assist in researching the legality and enforceability of TPOs and making representations to the LPA in respect of the requested works.

Even if you don’t have trees protected by TPO or live in a Conservation Area, trees are still a material consideration and increasingly LPAs are requesting tree surveys and Arboricultural Impact Assessments to accompany planning applications where trees may be affected by development.

If your planning consent contains conditions, these need to be discharged at the appropriate time. We can help provide necessary information, plans and advice on doing this so the LPA is confident that you have implemented your consent appropriately.

Contact us:

Call us on

01420 550 160

or email us